These mini turkey burgers just melt in your mouth thanks to gooey cheese, warm mushrooms, and creamy avocado.
- 8 whole-grain slider buns (lowest sodium available)
- 11/4 lbs ground, skinless turkey breast
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup sliced brown (crimini) mushrooms
- s slices low-fat Swiss cheese
- s small avocados (mashed with a fork)
- 1 medium tomato, cut into 8 slices (about 1/4-inch thick)
2 sliders Serving size
470 Calories per serving
2.5 g Sat. Fat per serving
503 mg Sodium per serving
- 1Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- 2Arrange the buns with the cut side up in a single layer on a baking sheet. Set aside.
- 3Using your hands or a spoon, shape the turkey into 8 patties, each about 3 inches in diameter. (The uncooked patties will be larger than the bun and will shrink as they cook.) Sprinkle the salt over each patty.
- 4Heat a large nonstick skillet or griddle pan over medium-high heat.
- 5Cook the patties for 2 to 3 minutes. Turn over the patties. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the patties are no longer pink in the center and register 165°F on an instant-read thermometer.
- 6Transfer the patties to the bottoms of the buns.
- 7In the same skillet, cook the mushrooms over medium heat for about 3 minutes, or until soft, stirring frequently.
- 8Spoon the mushrooms onto each patty. Top with the Swiss cheese.
- 9Place the baking sheet on the middle rack of the oven. Bake the sliders for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the Swiss cheese is melted and the buns are heated through. Remove from the oven.
- 10Spread the avocado over the Swiss cheese. Top with the tomato slices. Put the tops of the buns on the sliders.
- 11Using four short skewers, pierce two sliders with each skewer. Serve immediately.
Copyright © 2018 American Heart Association, Healthy For GoodTM, heart.org/healthyforgood