Wild Parsnip

Wild parsnip is a health risk in western Wisconsin — it causes phytophotodermatitis (rashes and burns) which happens when the sap of the plant, from broken stems and leaves, touches the skin and is exposed to ultraviolet light.  Within 24 to 48 hours, the affected area will first redden and in most cases be followed by painful blisters.

“Unlike poison ivy that can cause allergic reactions, no one is exempt from the potential harm of the chemical reaction caused by wild parsnip,” said David Gregg, PA-C. “Once the toxin is absorbed into the skin and is exposed to sunlight, some reaction is inevitable.”

Helpful links:
http://ipcm.wisc.edu/blog/2016/07/wild-parsnip-an-expanding-problem-along-roadsides-in-wisconsin/
https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/invasives/fact/WildParsnip.html

Additional Resources:
Wild Parsnip,
an expanding problem along roadsides in Wisconsin

Wild_Parsnip_Fact_Sheet wild-parsnips

video on wild parsnip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozqdU6_T1uU